Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day Thoughts

Just in case you missed the 9,000,000 commercials, or never had any tele-polsters call you, or missed out on the lovely opportunity of actually having real, live pollster visit your home in the evening I wanted to let you know that today is Election Day. I don't remember what it was like growing up in Michigan, but since I've moved to the D.C. area I've had the wonderful opportunity to experience all of these things on a daily basis for 6-8 months out of each election year. There is a growing concern for politics and politician. People are getting "educated" and becoming "aware" and actually voting. So…please…vote. Voting is an important duty of every citizen of this country. Voting is one of the ways we can express the freedom given to us by our country as well as the God-directed righteousness we have felt we are to display by our vote.

However, there is a responsibility that is far greater than voting and that is praying for our leaders. Christians are instructed by the Word of God to pray for those in positions of authority in our lives. I Timothy 2:1-3 say, "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior." The footnote following this verse in the Spirit-Filled Life Bible says: "We must pray for those who are in authority over us if we wish to reap the benefits of good government, which is a prized gift from God for the church's welfare and advancement of the Gospel." Romans 13:1 says "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities, for there is not authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God." The authorities that exist are appointed by God (See also Daniel 4:32; Psalm 75:6,7). Think about that next time you complain about a politician or mock our president. You're really mocking the person that God has placed in authority over us. This doesn't mean we agree with everything that he/she does. Paul does not suggest that God approves a corrupt government, ungodly officials, or unjust legislation. Sometimes, however, in punishment for the sins of a people, or for other reasons known to Him, God allows evil rulers to have authority for a time, as the OT prophets frequently testify. Ideally, God grants authority to serve good ends (vss. 3, 4). How that authority is exercised will be the accounting of each to whom it has been given. Our only hope in this area is God's sovereignty…He is in full control of every situation. It's much better to pray…pray for him/her.

II Chronicles 7:14 gives us all the ammunition we will every need, "If my people, who are called by My Name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." Here we find the promise God has made to Abraham's seed, of whom we are offspring. This promise applies to America, if we will have faith and PRAY! How important it is to pray! I don't usually get involved in political things…not that I'm not politically aware…but because I know the One who rules the Heavens and the Earth. I know the only One who can ever really change anything and that is the King of kings and the Lord of lords…Jesus Christ. So if you're upset with the state of our nation, pray. If you don't agree with the legislation that your elected officials have initiated, pray for them…and, of course vote!


 

"I'm Jason and I approved this message."

*This message was brought to you by one citizen for a Godly nation. J

7 comments:

  1. I hope we make improvements now that we have control of the house. This is the most Godless administration America has ever had.

    Don't remember if I have invited you to follow my blog or not...you are invited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Respectfully, Sir...I do not think we are in control of anything. It is true that I am pleased with some of our election results. However, I think you and I would both agree that even "the good guys" get it wrong. I still take solace in the fact that God is in total control. Therefore, I contend that our only hope is in II Chronicles 7:14.

    We have a wicked administration because we have a tremendously wicked nation. I feel that, if God's people cry out to heal our wicked nation, He will intervene and He can use any person (regardless of their political affiliation) to accomplish His purposes.

    Thank-you for the invite...consider yourself followed. :)

    God Bless you and thank-you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is a couple days late...but I agree. I also had a good laugh at your second to last sentence. =)

    Say hi to Ashley for me! God bless!

    ReplyDelete